Just north of Kewadin, sitting high above the appropriately named Cairn Highway, is a tall, pyramid-like structure. This cairn was built in 1938 as a memorial to Hugh G. Gray, the man who is known as the "Dean of Michigan's Tourist Activity" for his efforts in making Michigan a tourist destination. Mr. Gray is credited with the creation of the West Michigan Tourist Association.
The cairn is built of stones contributed from each of Michigan's 83 counties. Each stone -- or, in the case of Wexford County, a piece of rubber -- is engraved with its county name. The Antrim County stone is at the lower left of the adjacent photo.
An article about Mr. Gray had been published in Grand River Valley History, Volume 23, and includes a history of the cairn and pictures of the cairn's 1938 dedication.