These are the basic instructions on what you will need to file regarding guardianship of a developmentally disabled adult. At the bottom of this instruction page will be a list of forms that are required to file for guardianship.
1. Petition is filed. The Report to Accompany Petition is required to be submitted along with the Petition. (NO filing fee is paid.)
2. An Acceptance of Appointment must be filed by the Guardian and a Stand-by Guardian.
3. A psychological evaluation has to have been done within the last year.
4. The individual is appointed an Attorney.
5. A hearing date is scheduled. Petitioner must attend the Court hearing as well as the person completing the report and/or psychological. At the hearing the Court will review the Petition and evaluation and take testimony. Letters of Guardianship will be given upon entry of an Order appointing petitioner. A stand-by guardian must also be appointed.
1. The Court will review all guardianships after the 1st year and then every three years thereafter.
2. The Court will order a person to investigate and make a written report. After reviewing the report, the Court may continue the guardianship without a hearing or schedule and conduct a hearing on the status of the guardianship.